With the recent snowfall coating provincial trails and the holiday season fast approaching, the Sûreté du Québec reminds snowmobilers of some safety tips.
Every year, snowmobile enthusiasts can find themselves in perilous situations or be seriously injured while on the trails.
The SQ recommendations:
• Travel on marked trails and avoid bodies of water as the thickness and density of the ice in some places may represent a significant risk for people who venture off the trails;
• Avoid trekking alone and always make sure to inform someone of the planned route;
• Drive safe especially while crossing public road;
• Keep to the right at all times;
• Respect the signs;
• Adjust your speed according to the conditions of the trails.
The Sûreté du Québec also reminds us of the regulation for snowmobilers:
• Using a snowmobile is prohibited on public roads except in special cases where signage will mark an allowance;
• The maximum speed limit is 70 km / h;
• Snowmobilers are subject to the same laws as all motorists with respect to impaired driving by drugs, alcohol or a combination of both.